Monday 9 November 2015

SAVE vs SPLURGE: PRIMER EDITION

Save vs Splurge: Primer Edition

We all want to know whether a product is worth the hype before we fork out our hard earned cash to buy it. Sometimes a cheaper product can do exactly what the expensive product can, sometimes even better. So today I am starting a new series of posts, weighing in on a product and if it really is worth the money to buy the expensive items.


As the summer shows no sign of relief, we ladies know how important a good primer is. Primers help keep makeup lasting all day, giving longevity to the products applied above, so it is important to make sure you are getting one that works.

There are many different formulations of primers on the market but the best has to be the silicone based primers. These primers fill in your pores, greatly reducing the size, and they can also fill in fine lines and wrinkles. Now the question that is always asked “is it better to buy an expensive primer or will a cheaper one do?”

Let’s look at two of my favorites Inglot Under Base and LA Girl Pro Prep HD Primer. Both of these are silicone based primers and both are extremely light weight. But with any comparison, we have to take a deeper look at both products.

INGLOT UNDER BASE PRIMER

Inglot, under, base

This has been a staple in my personal makeup kit and my professional kit for quite a while. It truly makes applying makeup to myself or a client so much better. This sets the tone for the finished product and creates a beautiful blank canvas to work on.

Benefits:

This primer is hypoallergenic and suits all skin types. If you have oily skin, like me, this primer will absorb facial oil as well as scatter light to give a matte finish.  This primer also doesn’t move at all once left to set (which is about 2 minutes).

Who much to use & how to use?

A little goes a long way with this primer and you will only need a pea size amount. To apply just use finger tips to work into the skin concentrating it on your pores and fine lines. I like using my finger tips for this so that the heat of your body can melt the primer onto skin.

Price and quantity:

R 329.00 for 30ml from Inglot online or Inglot counters nationwide.

LA GIRL PRO PREP PRIMER

LA Girl, Pro Prep, primer

I have to admit that I wasn’t looking when I found this primer as I am super happy with my Inglot primer. But I like to test them and was pleasantly surprised when I swatched this on the back of my hand and it felt just like my holy grail primer.

Benefits:

This primer has the same light diffusing primers as Inglot but it also has Vitamin E which is great for the skin and something my Inglot primer doesn’t come with. LA Girl says it will seal pores and fill in fine lines.

How much to use and how to apply?

The same with the Inglot, a pea size amount will work. You apply this exactly the same with your finger tips and blend it into your skin. You also need to let this primer set so have a cup of coffee and then apply your foundation.

Price and quantity:

R 49.95  for 15ml from Dischem stores nationwide.

MY VERDICT

LA Girl has become a cult favorite here in South Africa and the world, with most of their products being some of the best I have tried. But I have to be honest here, Inglot Under Base is simply amazing. With the LA Girl primer I had this feeling of my foundation moving, if you get what I am saying. It also didn’t absorb the oiliness off my t-zone like my Inglot primer did. With the Inglot primer my face is matte the whole day and by dinner my foundation is still perfect.

In this case I would have to say that the splurge is better than the save. And honestly by using only a small amount of primer it should last you a long time. I have had my Inglot primer for 4 months already, using it every time I apply makeup, and there is still a lot of product in the tube. 

Have you tried these primers? I would love to hear your thoughts, why not leave me a comment below? 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...