Wednesday 5 August 2015

Don't be a mean girl....!

Being that it is Women’s Day this month, I thought this post would be appropriate for what I and many others witnessed yesterday. I always thought that we as women (and bloggers) would stand up for each other, be kind and have each other’s backs, but I am not too sure anymore.

Yesterday South African Beauty Bloggers saw a lot of cattiness and bitchiness that could have been avoided, if we all respected and stood up for each other. I am not going to elaborate about what happened but the level of disrespect I saw on twitter, from one blogger to another, made me want to back away and never return.

Younger bloggers tweeting mean things to veteran bloggers and being all high and mighty. This in my eyes is very unprofessional and childish. Showing these veteran bloggers so much disrespect is seriously shocking. I take it like this, if these veterans hadn’t paved the way for us, we wouldn’t have the knowledge we have now. We wouldn’t be able to have the credibility we have now with so many beauty brands. So disrespecting them is seriously not the way to go.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to go on twitter and call the blogger out, while all the while saying “you want us all to get along”, is really contradictory. Rather than tweeting these mean girl tweets, why not email the said blogger and chat it out, like adults. No you rather go on like high school girls who obviously never left. Tactfulness is a powerful thing and I honestly think it is something everyone should learn.

Being all mean on twitter is a negative reflection of not only you as a person, but also your brand. Many PR companies and brands are constantly on twitter and I would hate to know what they are thinking when they see things like this.  I don’t think brands want to be associated with bloggers who carry on like children.


Come on ladies, let’s rather leave the cattiness and bitchiness to high school girls and be ladies. Ladies who have values and respect each other. Let’s build each other up and be there for one another. Whether you are a newbie or a veteran, respect can go along way and will definitely make blogging in South Africa much stronger. Don’t be a mean girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...