Tuesday 14 June 2016

MAKEUP BRUSH BASICS - EYES

Makeup brushes needed for eyes


Whether you are in your teens and starting to experiment with makeup or in your twenties and still don't really know what makeup brushes you need, I have a few posts that will be able to give you a general idea of the brushes you might need. The brushes that I am going to recommend, are brushes that I use and were taught how to use when I trained to be a makeup artist. Remember you can use which every brushes you like and how you like. This post will show you all the brushes you need for your eyes.


Flat Eyeshadow Brushes

flat eyeshadow brushes


Flat eyeshadow brushes are great brushes that everyone should have in their makeup kit. I would recommend having three different sizes. A large one, for applying a wash of colour all over the eye. Whether you are using just one colour or you are laying down a base colour for all your other eyeshadows. This brush can pack on the colour evenly. 

large flat brush


I would then suggest having two more flat brushes. One smaller than the other. The general rule of thumb is that the darker the colour the smaller the brush. So you would use the medium brush to apply your second colour and the smallest brush to apply your darker crease colour.

medium blending brush

My flat brushes are from Alila and I have had them for over 3 years. They are part of their 18 piece brush set.

small flat brush


Blending Brushes

Blending brushes

Every girl should own a few blending brushes. You don't necessarily need the flat brushes but blending brushes are a must. Blending brushes help to give you a seamless finish to your eyeshadow look. They blend all the colours you applied using the flat brushes together and you aren't left with harsh lines. I have one from Burst Brushes that I have had for about 5 years. It is soft and blends eyeshadows in perfectly. I would say it is a dupe for the MAC 217 blending brush.

Burst blending brush


I also use the Cala blending brushes. The dome one I use clean to soften the lines near my brow bone and the angled blending brush I use to blend the darker colours into my crease.

Cala blending brush


Lastly I have a smaller pencil tip blending brush from Barbara Hoffman. I use this brush to work the crease colour under my eyes. Using this type of brush under the eyes helps to not end up with raccoon eyes. You don't need to have all four blending brushes. I would recommend the Burst blending brush and the Barbara Hoffman blending brush.

Barbara Hoffman small blending brush


The Cala and Barbara Hoffman brushes are available from Dischem stores nationwide. The Burst brushes are available online.

Tip: When using your blending brushes, dip the brush into the colour you are going to blend out. This helps to create that seamless finish and doesn't take more of the shadow away.

Brow brushes

Brow brushes


We all know how important brows are. So using the right tools will help make all the difference. When applying brow powder of dip brow, you need a brush that is thin and angled. Using an angled brush will help to create the individual hairs and give your brow a more natural look. The Cala angled brush can also be used to help create the perfect winged liner. I have two of these brushes for each function. The bristles are rigid enough to create the perfect brows or winged liner.

Cala angled liner brush


If you are using powder brow products, you can sometimes apply a little too much product, which is a nightmare to remove. But having a spoolie brush handy will help soften the look and comb out most of the unwanted products. A spoolie brush is also handy for combing through lashes when your mascara has created spider legs. This is definitely a must for all makeup users.

Spoolie brush


I hope you enjoyed this post. Remember these are the brushes I use, but not everyone will need them. If you are looking to purchase a set of brushes I would definitely recommend this set from Burst Brushes. It is brilliant quality and definitely an investment. 

Next week I will have the face brushes every girl needs. From buffing brushes to contour brushes. If you liked this post please leave a comment below.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...